Sunday, July 25, 2010

Functions of English(3):



Clarification
Expressing Lack of Understandin Asking for Clarification                               
  • I didn’t understand
  • I can’t understand
  • I don’t quite follow you
  • I ‘m not sure I got your point
  • I can’t get your idea

  • What do you mean ?
  • Could /can you be more explicit ?
  • Would you clarify that , please ?


 Functions in Context
       Asking for Clarification:
Formal
  • Excuse me. What was that again?
  • Pardon me. Would you mind repeating that    
  • Pardon me. Could you repeat that please?
  • I beg your pardon.  Would you mind repeating that?
  • I’m sorry.  I didn’t get the last part.
  • May I interrupt?   Could you say that again please?
Informal
  • What? I didn’t catch that.
  • What did you say? I didn’t get the last part.
  • Huh? (impolite) You lost me.
  • I didn’t get that. Can you make yourself clear?
  • I am completely in the dark.


Giving Clarification and checking for understanding.
Formal
  • I mean that......
  • What I mean is that....
  • Does that make sense to you?
  • Am I making sense?
  • Am I clear enough?
  • Do you get that?
  • Have I made myself clear?
  • Do you see what I mean?
  • Do you understand so far?
  • Are you following me?

Informal
  • Did you catch that?
  • Do you understand?           
  • Is that clear now?            
  • Right?
  • Okay, so far?                       
  • Did you get that?     
  • Got it?     




No comments:

Post a Comment